Sunday, November 11, 2007

Oh I hear the weathers nice in California

I wrote a title for this blog, but never wrote an entry.

So I just came to "catch up" and am left trying to figure out what exactly I had in mind with my title. This much I know...

I have recently been watching Kellie Pickler's "I Wonder" performance on the CMAs on youtube.... (**Backstory: Kellie wrote this song about her mother who ran out on her and her dad when Kellie was two years old. She currently has no relationship with her mother**) I feel some weird connection to it, although I had a great mother, she never ran out on us. I was very impressed with Kellie's performance. Its not often today that you see someone in Hollywood wear their heart on their sleeve like that. It was quite touching. I give her a world of credit. It was like she was there having a therapy session with the world, feeling these emotions for the very first time. So raw. I'll try to attach the video, or at least a link. You should see it.



I guess I relate to the song for other reasons. Reasons that I'll get into eventually, but not right now. But I would like to say how wonderful mothers are. In general. If you have a mother, you should count your lucky stars. Especially if she is a mother like mine. One who loves you no matter what. Will give up her own happiness and convenience to make your life easier. One who will endure you as a teenager, because she knows that once you grow out of this "phase" you'll have no greater friend in the world. One who will be there when you have babies and get married. A mother who will listen to you cry on the phone when that boy breaks your heart. Or listens when you try to figure out what to do with your life.

Get recipes from her. Ask about HER family. I think a lot of us don't realize that our mothers were actually people, with actual lives before we came along. Find out what she was like before you. Ask her everything you can think of. Find out as much as you can, discover exactly why you are HER daughter. What part of her is so very YOU?

And take pride in that. Embrace it. You only get one mother. And she won't be around forever. So get to know her while you can. Tell her you love her. Tell her you appreciate everything she's ever done for you, and especially everything she's ever given up for you.

I can imagine no greater accomplishment that to be exactly like my mother.

Love you, Mom. :)

No comments: