Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Keep Thinking BIG PICTURE

That's what I have to tell myself when I work myself into a tizzy over nothing. Literally, nothing. My best friend in college, we'll call him LG, always used to joke with me that I would cry if I didn't get enough pink sprinkles on my ice cream cone. LG and I had some good times in college, I still don't think anyone "gets me" like LG did. But that's a story for another post. Another post where I don't want to talk about the craptacular day that was today.

My bad day started yesterday. I have theses bizarre wisdom teeth that sort of come and go. They'll pop up and say hello! Cause some major headaches for a week and then go back down where they came from. It's been happening once a year maybe for the past few years. I've been able to grin and bear it simply because I'm too big of a baby to have them extracted. I'm pretty sure I was traumatized as a kid when I had to have 12 of my baby teeth pulled. Yea, that's what I said. 12. Count em. I was some weirdo whose baby teeth just would not fall out, so in order to get my braces on I had to have them all pulled. It sucked, I can tell you that. So now I have dentistphobia.

photo credit: http://www.dentistchristchurch.co.nz/graphics/wisdom.jpg


So all that said, yesterday one of my wisdom teeth decided to show up. Oh and not only is it going to show up, but its going to get infected. So not only do I have a sore cheek and rockin headache, now I have a lovely fever to boot. Super.

I made an appointment with a new dentist today and I swear my insurance only covers the most run down dumps. I went to a new GP last month and what a mess that place was, the waiting room for the lab was basically some folding chairs in a closet- I'm not even kidding. But while the office of my new dentist leaves a little to be desired, I actually really like the doctor. He was very nice to me and very gently told me about the 8 cavities I have. Holy shit. Am I brushing with sugar cubes twice a day or toothpaste?? He promised me that 3 are so small they don't need to be filled (...yet...) but 5 are a teeny bit bigger and should be filled. Super. Again.

So in the madness surrounding my apparently cavity laden mouth, we completely skipped over the whole wisdom tooth problem. There as brief mention that I should get it pulled but that's where the conversation ended and turned over to scheduling my fillings. At the very least, he did remember to write me a script for amoxicillian to kill the infection, thank god.

And my day keeps getting better. Through no fault of anyone but yours truly here, I have a huge term paper due for my US history class tomorrow night. I'm about 2 pages into it. Its an easy paper on an interesting subject, but the motivation is so not there. Its no where to be found.

And I have a big exam on ancient somethingorother next week in my Western Civ class but I'm going up to Philly this weekend to see my gal pals so studying is out of the question.

There were lots of other terribly annoying things that happened today to make me burst into tears when I got home, but they've temporarily flown out of my head. No doubt they will return when I finally find some motivation to do my paper. In the meantime, I keep reminding myself that these stupid little "obstacles" are definitely not worth crying over, maybe I'm PMSing. I tend to cry when I'm PMSing. LG always used to know that I would get horribly irrational around that time of month. I wouldn't doubt that at some point in my life I have actually cried over a shortage of pink sprinkles. But I try to think BIG PICTURE... these little things that have me in tears today will mean nothing a year from today. I once heard a quote that I loved! I don't remember it exactly, but to paraphrase...

If something has you worried today, try to think back to one year ago, what were you worrying about then?

And of course you probably can't remember. Which is exactly the point.

:) Thanks for listening.

No comments: